Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jude- A name synonymous with Hope

As Glen and I were lounging together watching the Oscar's, someone during an interview mentioned the actor Jude Law. Funny how the mind has the ability (and very often does so...) to connect seemingly irrelevant information and circumstances to other events in one's life, connecting miscellaneous information to personally relevant memories. It immediately brought back memories of my mother praying to her favorite saint- Saint Jude, the patron saint of lost causes and cases of despair. I see her before the Green candle with St. Jude's face emblazoned on it, glowing from the flicker of the lit candle, atop that antique dresser.Thinking of it now, perhaps I know why he was her favorite saint... it was the most applicable to her life. Though all of that is for another blog, which maybe I will write someday.

I have those memories, as a child, seeing and hearing her praying St. Jude's prayer...though I had to look it up-

"O most holy apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus- People honor and invoke you universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, of things almost despaired of. Pray for me, for I am so helpless and alone. Please help to bring me visible and speedy assistance. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly (state your request) and that I may praise God with you always. I promise, O blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you by publishing this request. Amen."

Perhaps, if we have a little boy, we will name him Jude. It somehow seems appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment